Tuesday, September 14, 2010

BACK -to chicago, and beyond.

Morning comes quick; we are less than 2 hours away from DMC Midwest. We hope to arrive early enough for the car to cool down some. GPS and Iphone want us to drive through the city, but we decide to stay on 80 and take the long way west. It works out great and we arrive at 7:30. Dave’s there at 8:00 and start working on the car. The new radiator has a defective weld and it’s decided that the driver side fan is faulty. Replacements are made along with a check of the left rear wobbly tire. It needs a new bearing and the bonnet needs new rods. It’s fallen on Oli twice in slight winds while he was tanking up.

Oli and I take advantage of the time to catch up on email, work and facebook. Oh yeah, Oli sets up the new hard drive, takes a call to tech support. Why is it so hard to write instructions in a working manner and not just in 15 different languages!

The car is repaired, hoses checked, idle adjusted and we are ready to hit the road. Thanks again Dave, Julee and Mike for taking such good care of us! With a stop at the Post Office, we are on the road to Cali by 3:30. Oli manages to drive with the sun in his eyes; we are heading west, people. The sunset is beautiful, I try to get a picture of the wide-open spaces and colorful sky, but the road is clogged with trucks. You'll just have to believe me that it was lovely. After a tank up somewhere in Iowa, he takes the passenger seat and I start driving. The sun has set and it’s open road and I hate stick. But it’s okay; I drive for 45 minutes and miss my exit. We are on 80 heading west, where the heck did it go? I take the next exit and Oli takes over. We should have had a training session with the D before I took it on the Highway. I’ll drive some more tomorrow, in daylight, so I can see where I’m going and I plan to turn the voice on the GPS. Tonight we plan to stop in Omaha, Nebraska. This is a tight run, we have to be in Cali by Friday, early would be nice. So enough for now, write more tomorrow.

No comments: